Sunday, May 20, 2012

Day 11 (Sunday-Mother’s Day) Astoria OR-Boise ID

We took a drive down the Oregon coast for the first part of the day. We stopped in Seaside to stick our toes in the Pacific. Brrr! And that crazy tide snuck up on me - I kept walking out to the water not realizing the sand was wet for some time - and all of a sudden a wave kept coming and coming... I was almost up to my knees but didn’t want to run screaming like a little girl and scare the other beachcombers so I just acted like I meant to do it. LOL.

We turned through the Tillamook State Forest. I just like saying it - “Tillamook”. Since we spent an additional day in Seattle, we decided to skip Portland. An adventure for another day, perhaps. Maybe a wine trip!

Some of the best parts of the trip were completely unplanned. I was feeling a little peckish and saw a sign for some historic something-er-other - it seems everything along our route was ‘historic’ or at least ‘scenic’. Every town had a historic downtown, no matter how tiny and out-of-the-way. Anyway, I diverted off the main highway onto what used to be the highway - back around the 30’s, one of the first transcontinental highways - U.S. Route 30. Well, we found this place called Vista House (built 1918) with a stunning view of the Columbia. Wow! They really knew how to do things back then. The building is small, but perfect. I went up to ask the information desk about a place to eat and they gave me a map that pointed out a bunch of waterfalls along our new route! “Neat-o”, I said! Off we went down yet another skinny, curvy, wooded road...

Oregonians must have been showing their love for their Mothers or for the absolutely perfect day in May, because it was packed with hikers and picnickers. We did stop and make the short hike to Bridal Falls. Wow! But we could not even park close to the restaurant. I believe the entire population of Western Oregon was there.

In Oregon, you can not pump your own gas. I kinda wish that was the case everywhere except for the fact it was $4.40/gallon. After filling up at least once or twice a day, it got a  little old. We paid as little as $3.37 in Nebraska, but the average was $3.78. Glad we took ole Sparky and got about 45 mpg. I bet we would have done a lot better but with speed limits of  70-75 and no po-po in sight, we were running a tad bit over optimal gas mileage speeds!

The rest of the day was spent driving through Oregon into Idaho to spend the night in Boise.

No comments:

Post a Comment