Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Day 4: Yellowstone

Seriously, the most beautiful place EVER! I’m sort of glad that we were a little early in the season and a few roads were still closed - because I would still be there! Plus, there were no crowds - I can’t imagine this place in summer.

Since we stayed in Belgrade, MT we decided to go in the West entrance. Even before we got to the park, the scenery was incredible. Mountains and rivers, trees still flocked with snow...  Along the way we stopped at one of the many pull-offs aka "Kodak Photo Spots". And, one other car pulled over at the same time. At first, we thought perhaps we were going to end up kibbles for a bear - but it turned out to be a fellow Packer fan! Darren from Zion, IL but grew up in WI. He loved my gnome and asked what’s it name was, so we have decided to call him Curly. It was actually our 2nd Packer Fan Sighting but the first ones in Deadwood ignored me (I’m sure they just did not hear me). GO PACK GO!

Can’t go anywhere without bumping into one, but being the only two cars pulled over for a 30-second photo op in a remote area? Crazy!

Yellowstone is beyond description. You simply must visit for yourself :) We walked the boardwalks around geysers and mudpots, things I’ve never seen (or smelt, they are pretty darn sulfur-y, PU). On one such walk, I almost had a run-in with a bison. Believe me when I tell you, they do run wild and they (and their poop) are all over the place. Since, they are huge, I turned around and started back up the boardwalk. However, others are not so intelligent, and not that I would wish anyone harm, but if the bison would have given them a good nudge, I would have said “Good for you, Mr. Bison”. Humans can be idiots.

This trip is just falling right into place so far and the timing of Old Faithful couldn’t have been more perfect. After that, we drove to another of the geyser basins and as we were waiting for more stupid humans to line up a photo while blocking the entire walkway... we saw an osprey, hovering over the river - I told Dave he’s looking for a fish - and sure enough he dove right down and nabbed one up! What an amazing sight.

We got stuck in a bison jam - two of them decided to run down the street so we had to follow slowly until they cleared the lane. We saw a bear really far off in the distance but that was about the only place where it was busy and there really wasn’t a place to park.

One of my most favorite parts of the day, was admittedly a long, out-of-the-way drive, but so incredible! We drove to Yellowstone Lake and had a picnic (even tho the lake was still frozen). It is surrounded by mountains and just so peaceful. Ah. Nothing like it.

We left out of the North entrance and again, incredible! You drive along this meadow-y expanse that goes on for miles and all of a sudden, bam, you are on the side of a mountain over a gorge (with little or no guardrail!). I never really like to go anywhere twice on vacation but I am seriously considering returning to Yellowstone.

While eating dinner with a view of the Park (and a few elks grazing about our cars), we had a lovely chat with some other travelers. Then, headed back to our hotel completely exhausted and astounded.



No comments:

Post a Comment