Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Day 8: Seattle

Ah, Seattle. We thought we’d have so much to see and do, we decided to stay another day... However, we found ourselves wandering around in circles quite a bit. The day started at the Pike Place Market. I guess we could have spent a lot of time there, but it is set up so randomly and we are not into too much shopping that we basically did a walk-thru and were done. We did make sure to see the most disgusting sight - known as the “gum wall” and that’s what it is, everyone’s ABC (Already Been Chewed) gum stuck to a wall (see pix - YUM!). We kinda saw the fish throwers, but it’s not like they are constantly doing it, they are pretty funny though. The most impressive thing, I thought, was the flowers. Beautiful arrangements for up to $15!

Then we crossed the street to what we thought was the first-ever Starbucks, only to feel a little “empty”. Luckily, I Googled it on my phone to find out that we were about a block away from the true original. So confusing when they are on every corner (not really).

Sidebar on that...  as many of you know, I have a Blackberry and a tablet, Dave has an iphone and GPS. We have guidebooks, an atlas and a AAA TripTik - YET, as unbelievable as it may seem, we have been lost quite a bit. I guess it’s all part of the adventure, however irritating it may be.

Back on Seattle...  so after getting a mug from the first Starbucks (as I already was drinking my mocha), we moved on. Suddenly, I remembered the “free gift” coupon for Hard Rock. Which, was back where the non-first Starbucks was. If you have ever been to Seattle, you may know that there are a few hills similar to San Francisco. I should have legs of steel by now! I have a collection of Hard Rock pilsner glasses and was looking to add to it. So, even though it was just before noon Seattle-time, it was well after noon Wisconsin-time and I ordered a beer. Unfortunately, after all these years, Hard Rock has discontinued the pilsner glasses! Fortunately, we actually had a very nice bartendress (with huge tata’s even I have to say) who found the last used one for me :) They have switched to these seemingly oversized pint glasses - probably to try to make me start another collection. It’s not gonna work!!! I guess maybe now my pilsner collection might be worth something someday tho... By the way, I did not spend enough for the “free gift” so never even found out what it was!

We stopped at Tiffany’s and tried to find something to buy with no luck, probably a good thing. We walked back to the hotel to drop off my packages and happened by where President Obama was having some sort of fundraiser. Couldn’t see anything but the place was all blocked off. After a short break, we walked to the Sky Needle. Coming up with the brilliant idea to come back towards dusk, we walked through the Olympic Sculpture Park, down the waterway, had a bite to eat and ended up where? Pike Place Market!

Since my legs were feeling like rubber (Dave made me walk up the gazillion stairs from the water to Pike Place), we decided just to take the monorail back to the Sky Needle and do it.

I was sad to see the Dale Chihuly garden was not yet opened (but more on that in two days). The Sky Needle was spectacular so I celebrated with a little champagne. Afterwards, we walked back to the hotel only for me to walk back halfway to the Sky Needle to pick up pizza :)

I am pretty sure I was at negative-calories after walking all day...

No comments:

Post a Comment