Sunday, May 12, 2013

Part 2, Day 1 - MKE to Phoenix to Sedona to Grand Canyon

Sorry this is a little late! No time to say hello, good-bye, I’m late, I’m late, I’m late! And, no time to edit so this is just off the top of my large, puffy head:

Just like our last trip, the first two days were amazing and lo-ong. Not often I get up before dawn - especially two (and maybe three) days in a row.

We flew out of Milwaukee non-stop to Phoenix. Though I wish there was a stop... Famous last words as we took our seats in front of a small family “It will be fine.” Uh, not even close. Now, everyone knows I am not a fan of children. Not even a little. However, even I can understand the discomfort of a long flight. I do NOT understand when parents think that’s a time to practice parenting by not allowing the child WHATEVER it wants! I mean, really. If there’s a time to give in, its after an HOUR of piercing screaming in an airplane. Anywho. The trend of people suddenly wanting my conversation continues. And, by that, I mean the girl next to me “helped” with my crossword puzzle. Who does that??? Its my crossword puzzle, go get your own!

Every time I fly, I am reminded why I do not like flying. (And, I’m not even mentioning the barfing baby story).

However, the trip has gone UP from there. They had to upgrade our car so we are rocking the Toyota Camry. Black with black interior. In Arizona. Well, at least we got A/C because our cabbie must have thought 85 was a nice Spring day - not for us Wisconsinites burning up in the back seat!

As I found on our last trip, some of the best things are unplanned. We took a side trip into Sedona, AZ and that is some amazing scenery, folks. Highly recommend. We only had time for a bite and a short stroll but I think it was more colorful than the Grand Canyon. The colors were just brilliant. Dave did not appreciate the hair-pin turns and 25 MPH speed limit tho.

And, then we were off again, I have no idea what time anything has happened in the past couple days because 1. AZ does not observe daylight savings time. (This was quite upsetting in the air as I thought we would be landing and it was going to be ANOTHER HOUR!) and 2. my phone went dead and I left the charger in the car. Which, is a little bit of pain because there may be 900 hotels rooms here at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon but there are only about 50 parking spots so our car is parked about 1/2 mile away. For what we are paying, there should be a darn valet. Just sayin’.

At some point on the way to the shuttle bus, I lost Grandpa Dave. So, I went out to a couple viewpoints for the sunset by myself. It was pretty but not as spectacular as the second night. And, apparently I need some help with electronics because my camera battery died, too, before the sunset was over! Oh well. Its in my head - which, if you know me, you know nothing says long there!

The trend of strangers talking to me continued AGAIN as I relaxed with a couple beers and some wings in the hotel lounge. I could hardly turn down a beer (I did, at first) but apparently that gave license to rub my back... EW! I made my excuses, as I really did have to get up at 4am and I did have to go to bed (alone) and ran back to our room. And nearly ran into an Elk - they really like to hang outside our window. We even woke up to them crunching of grass - like I said 4AM...

Well, I will have to quit for now as its another early day tomorrow and I just saw something scurry across the floor of our room...  Ah, nature! (?)

No comments:

Post a Comment