Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Road Trip, Part 2, Day 2 - Grand Canyon Tour

Well, this day got off to an awfully early start! About 4AM. We were both so nervous about being late, we just decided to get up. And there were ups and downs - literally all day!

We started with an airplane tour. We flew over parts of the Grand Canyon and then up to Page, AZ. It was a 17-person prop job. We had a remarkable smooth flight! After we landed, we waited for our Native American guide to take us to Antelope Canyon. Now, when I read this, I read it as a 4-wheel-drive jeep tour of a canyon. I was a little mistaken... first, it was an all out race against the Japanese. I sat next to a lady from Australia and we were not sure we were going to survive. But, then, we got out of the trucks and we guided through basically a cave. O. M. G. Most of you probably know of my little issue with claustrophobia. I do not know how I made it through this tour. I was doing fine, breathing and mostly just snapping pictures to take my mind off the fact that it was about a foot wide in some spots. However, I did not realize as much of the rest of the planet already knows, that Japanese tourists are very pushy (some might say I’m being kind). So, I took the rear of our group because sometimes that helps with the claustrophobia. But not when you have 37 Japanese pushing up your rear! I physically took a woman’s arm and moved her behind me. Even the guides were yelling at them but they didn’t pay attention. I’m not really sure why our guide was in such a hurry to shove ahead of them. He totally said to me that he hated these tours. Well...  thanks, I like you, too! (I am planning on sending a little feedback to his company) But, he did know photography and you will be able to tell which photos he took and which I took!

Back in trucks we went, again racing against some imaginary stopwatch and he dropped us at the curb of the raft place with nary a word and took off! None of us knew what to do. We went inside, signed our lives away and sat there like dummies. I was the one to ask what was going on? (I honestly thought maybe Henry just dropped us off to get rid of us!)

But, our rafting bus driver and guide were delightful. We took a bus trip down to the river through a 2 Mile Tunnel (oh, boy, after the canyon, I can do ANYTHING!) It was like Willie Wonka when they went on the boat ride.

The raft ride was a little slow-paced and HOT. OH, did I mention it went from about 36 in the morning into the 90’s? We both got a bit sunburned but I had long pants and long sleeves on (sweat) so only my nose and head got it. But it was so beautiful and peaceful.

We stopped for a picnic lunch along the river and Dave even took a dip in the 47 degree Colorado! Brave Man. I went as far as my ankle.

After the rafting tour, we were again dropped off without instruction so had to figure out which bus we were supposed to get on to get home! Apparently, I need a lot of hand-holding. And, that’s why I pay for these GUIDED tours.

After 12 hours, we arrived back at our hotel. I left sunburnt Dave in the room to re-coup and took a couple mile hike along the Rim Trail. The sunset was much more vibrant this night. After a organic meal and some Grand Canyon Amber Ale, it was off to another early beddy-by. What is happening here?




No comments:

Post a Comment