Thursday, May 23, 2013

Road Trip, Part 2, Day 7, Thursday - Heart Castle to Monterey

We headed out of Paso Robles for the coast passing many, many wineries that just may have to be explored on a future trip West! We took one of the three tours offered at Hearst Castle. The pictures will tell the story on that one. It is gorgeous, and oddly remote - as is a lot of the CA coastline, surprisingly. Heading North from Hearst Castle to Monterey proved to be a longer trip than anticipated! I think it was like 17 miles and it took 7 hours - well, that may be an exaggeration but it definitely took a very long time on a very curvy and hilly road. It was beautiful, yet exhausting! We finally found a little place to grab some nosh - just in time before they closed. It had such a perfect view! We continued up and back and forth and down the coastline to Monterey taking in all the scenic "vistas" - including one with tons of cute seals, or sea lions...I'm not quite sure the difference.

By the time we found our hotel, I needed a little cocktail so I took a cab to Fisherman’s Wharf while Dave prettied himself up. I found a place with .99 oysters so I had some of those for dinner. I met a large group of Wisconsin boys - but they weren’t really that friendly (and they were drinking Heiniken - BAH!). Dave met up with me and we hit an “English” pub on the way home. He had walked down (even the cabbie laughed when I told him where I was going!) but that was a tad bit longer than a mile...I would say two! In the dark... would not have felt comfortable by myself, no doubt. In fact, I pretended I was a nut myself in order to scare off any real nuts...Dave did not find the humor in that but I was cracking myself up...might have been the martini, or wine, or beer...

No comments:

Post a Comment