Monday, May 27, 2013

Road Trip, Part 2, Day 13, Wednesday - Sonoma to Arcata, CA

This is where we begin to go without a plan... The Groupon I got for the Jack London Lodge included a park pass for the Jack London Park. So we started the day there. Little interesting museum about his life and a nice park to hike in. Until you see a rattlesnake...  then, this little girl is done with nature! I thought I was safe walking behind Dave but he must have stepped right over it as it covered half the path! After that, I was ready for nature of a different kind. Nature in a glass - a stop at one last winery in memory of Rich and my trip a few years back - at Kunde. Then, back to the coast we went. We stopped for lunch at Bodega Bay (apparently where The Birds was filmed and/or based?). Another delightful view. Onward we trekked on the same 101 that curved up and down, in and out... until we finally met up with Highway 1 and the drive-thru tree! After that, we weren’t really sure where to stop for the night and ended up at a Red Roof Inn in Arcata. I thought since it said “Grand Opening”, we would be good. But, I think they meant Grand RE-Opening because it clearly was not new. The first room we were assigned didn’t even have bedding and the hallway reeked of pot. They still have a lot of hippies there according to the front desk clerk. The second room was a tad better but I still slept in my clothes...what can you expect for $49.99?

The house Jack London never lived in...and museum


The Rattler!!!

The house Jack London wanted to live in but burned down before he could move in. He died before he could re-build.


Another lunch with an awesome view! Corner window.



Not sure what Charlie Brown had to do with it. It was kinda fancy.

In addition to the curvy windiness, there are animal obstacles in the road!


Drive-thru tree...

That's me in the rental!


And look what they had - a Modine heater!



No comments:

Post a Comment